Thread: The Way of Aiki
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #136
Mert Gambito
Talking Re: The Way of Aiki

Quote:
Cady Goldfield wrote: View Post
Again I will clarify that nowhere was it stated that structure is IP/aiki. I'm not sure where Lee got the idea of that.

Aligning the joints is the FIRST STEP toward manipulating structure, and thus is the FIRST STEP toward developing IP skills and an aiki body. Nothing more, nothing less.
There was plenty of "good stuff" in Lee's post, but it is way beyond the processing point for what someone without prior internal training is ready to read about. What I offered was for beginners and individuals with no or little exposure to this kind of training, as a baseline starting point. Others here are discussing internal training amongst themselves, at the levels they're at. Let's try to keep the two separate so that there aren't heaping layers of confusion for those just learning about this stuff.
Cady,

Perhaps Lee's just trying to caution against folks defaulting to conventional notions of alignment, whether those notions are old hat (e.g. balancing books on their heads) or more recently en vogue (e.g. looking up rolfers on Craigslist), and therefore missing the mark from the get-go.

Also, as context for readers, proper alignment as Cady's described it is especially emphasized in I Liq Chuan (Sam Chin spent several minutes helping me stand in a manner that notably reduced pain when moving intent through the lower-body meridians).

I have no doubt that the need for clarification on this topic would be moot if the conversation was happening hands-on in person.

Last edited by Mert Gambito : 10-04-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Mert