Old 09-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #18
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Osensei's Feet of Clay

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
Oh wait, I know this one!

The way around this is to interpret his words as merely describing a training methodology which can be used to develop physical skills as found in some Chinese martial arts!

You might notice that none of Ueshiba's students actually seem to be transmitting a training methodology like this. But that will work out excellently, when further on down the line, you find yourself frustrated and disenchanted with the Aikido organizations created by those students.
If you think that what we're doing is attempting to reduce Ueshiba to merely physical skills than you have severely misunderstood what we're doing (and severely misunderstood what goes on in Chinese internal martial arts as well).

I am now, and have been, a member of the Aikikai for more than 30 years. There's nothing wrong with expressing dissatisfaction with actions of an organization that one belongs to - at least not in the United States. Welcome to Democracy.

I'd note that your own teacher was so "disenchanted with the Aikido organizations created by those students" at one point that he left - although he eventually went back.

Best,

Chris

Last edited by Chris Li : 09-24-2013 at 02:23 PM.