View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
Robert Cowham
Dojo: East Sheen Aikido and Kashima No Tachi
Re: Techniques are dead: Living movement vs dead technique

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
As an aside, perhaps, I've felt kihonwaza from my teacher and his teacher. Even though from the outside, the techniques they're doing look quite like the clean techniques one sees in textbooks and performed and practiced by many shodan (nidan, sandan, yondan, ...) students. But, I have to say that they feel ineffably different -- a presence of cleanness, clarity, efficiency, and effectiveness that shows the substance behind, underneath, and all throughout their movement, timing, and self-organization.

All for now. Back to "lurking."
Please lurk less and express yourself more Jun!

I remember in a Q&A session with Suganuma sensei in Norway asking him "What is the most important thing in Aikido?", and he answered musubi (connection). A couple of of years later, in a similar session, I asked him the same question. I wasn't trying to catch him out but was genuinely interested if he answered the same or differently. His answer was the same. (He was greatly amused over dinner when I admitted to the repeat question!)

The more I practice, the more I aspire to a sense of musubi (which to me is in the moment)...