View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #66
Cliff Judge
Dojo: Aikido Shobukan Dojo
United_States
Re: Is is it still Aikido if you take away the Japanese clothes, etiquette and other things?

Quote:
Matthew Story wrote: View Post
Could you explain further what this means in reference to the post of mine that you are quoting? I'm not sure I'm following you.
You seemed to be disregarding clothing and some other elements as trappings, and warning against imbuing them with psuedo-religious meaning.

This strikes me as funny because the entire traditional training process is a great example of a thing that is pseudo-religious....it is the product of thinking that is steeped in religious thought. The Japanese junction of Neo-Confucianism, Taoism, and esoteric Buddhism and Shintoism, to be precise (or not since it is quite a melange).

Even if you disregard the traditions established by Ueshiba's son and senior students, and don't understand or don't care about the link between what he was doing and how martial arts were transmitted classically, the link between Ueshiba's practice and the Chinese classics is something that a lot of people around here are currently pretty excited by.