View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #57
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South (formerly Emory Aikikai)
United_States
Re: China and the Methods that Drive IP & Aiki

1. I do not think it improbable that O Sensei was influenced by Chinese arts. In Hidden in Plain Sight, Ellis discusses occassions where O Sensei "observed" without participating in a martial art, later to show some influence reflected in his movement. If I remember correctly, the concept of someone like O Sensei admitting to participating in a art below his station would be inappropriate. I can only imagine the difficulty if that admission was made about a Chinese art... I believe that O Sensei was influenced by Chinese internal training.
2. I do not think it improbable that what Chinese influence existed in O Sensei's aikido was removed for the general art by his students. I think the Aikido curriculum that came from O Sensei is not was we traditionally see in aikido. I think you have a number of Japanese students imitate shapes performed by O Sensei, I think you had Japanese students compile the philosophy expressed by O Sensei, I think you had Japanese students develop the teaching curriculum they felt important to learning what O Sensei demonstrated. It would not be suprising to learn that after a period of time, the Japanese imitation of the Chinese teachings replaced the Chinese teachings.

Anyone can say "Y'all", but only Southerners say "Y'all" right...