View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #24
Mario Tobias
Philippines
Re: There Are No Shortcuts

Quote:
Daniel James wrote: View Post
+0.9 err... +1
I think its definitely a window into understanding and insights. Factoring in the time to learn physics and then translating/integrating it into the art (at least internally) is what takes the time though, I think maybe not a shortcut for everyone?

Yes, here's hoping it helps pass on the art that little bit quicker

best and lovely post OP and thoughtful dialogue by all,
dan
Endo Sensei I think is the closest embodiment to what I was saying. He is always saying "Do not grab, it is possible". It is because he is not relying only on HIS body to manipulate uke but rather maximizes the use of basic physics laws and entities like gravity (although I'm pretty sure he doesn't know he knows that he's using these.)

What's amazing with the human body and psyche is that you can be an expert with a body of science either through formal education through an institution or by years of repetition and countless trial and error. In this case, Endo-sensei and O-sensei are both "physicists" but they don't know they are.

Another famous name that comes to mind is Thomas Edison. He wasn't an "engineer" but he was a master engineer through his inventions. There are numerous others: Efren Bata Reyes was totally unschooled yet he is a master of geometry through his art in billiards and pool.

We need to gain insight into these examples and learn that in any endeavor, there are several approaches to achieve the same result. We need to thank them because they took the long path, and it is our duty to study them and create our own theories and validate them. What it would have probably taken Endo-sensei decades to perfect a principle, it would have several minutes to explain through scientific principles. The tricky thing then is what principles do we study and apply. But at least that part of the search has already begun.