View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #72
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom
Re: Religion....No Competition.

Quote:
Krystal Locke wrote: View Post
Why would religion make a better moral compass than, say, the obligate social nature of the species?
A very good question!

there is an excellent debate to be seen and heard between Tony Blair and Christopher Hitchens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq2GmUa4s7Y

The motion is that "Religion is a force for good in the world"

This particular clip doesn't seem to have the final result attached, I have seen it elsewhere and Hitchens managed to sway the audience heavily to oppose the motion.

Blair is a consumate orator and a worthy spokesman for the religious argument, as much as I personally dislike the man for his actions whilst in office, you can't take away from him his forceful arguments. However, He is no match for Hitchens' humanity, reason, intelligence and brilliantly stated case. It is worth watching just for his opening 7 minutes, which brilliantly sums up why there is no chance of peace in the middle east, any time soon.

As far as I can see, the major religions are pretty much all competitive and exclusive and will remain so. I was under the impression that Buddhism is not a religion as there is no god to have faith in to start with.

And reading the debate on the thread here, competition is alive and well as usual.

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.