View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #34
lbb
United_States
Re: Religion....No Competition.

Quote:
Fred Little wrote: View Post
"Teetering" sounds both better and worse than the arguably more accurate verb "posing," for which you get additional style points!
Apologies - I didn't mean to impugn your footwork!

Quote:
Fred Little wrote: View Post
While I don't disagree with a single point you make in the graph above and find your dedication to reason against idiocy commendable, you may need St. Jude on your side if your observations are directed to OP.
Or at any of us, probably. This thread had the objective at its origin of prying the heathen free of their misguided beliefs, and has continued in that vein - with courtesy, but nevertheless...

So I'll just address Graham directly and say: I believe (and the historical record supports this belief) that you view "Asian religions" through rose-colored glasses, to say the least. Rose-colored glasses distort, but if you don't care to abandon them in order to get a less distorted view, would it help if you saw that they're simply not necessary? The value of a spiritual tradition such as Buddhism isn't diminished by looking at it warts and all - far from it, learning to see things as they are rather than as we would have them is central to Buddhist thought.