View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #29
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States
Re: Crosstraining Aikidoka: A Survey

I think like Yannis, above. The aikido I've received, if you don't consider that which I received from a "traditional," so to speak, Ueshiba stylist when I was 8 to 10 years old, was from a Tomiki instructor. This brand of Aikido, being taught almost as an extension of the standard judo mai ai (maai, whichever) doesn't resonate with me as being cross-training at all, though a purist, which I am assuredly not, would probably disagree.

Personally, as my judo grows in competence, so does my aikido, and vice-versa. I have become progressively softer in my technique application, to the point where sometimes it literally does feel like magic when it happens, and I've been told that it "looked" effortless.... which to me, it did indeed feel that way. Neat feeling, that, whether it's kotegaeshi or haraigoshi.

All same-same, the difference is the distance from uke.

This isn't your standard Olympic judo, keep in mind. I can do that, too, but the feel is different, more combative/competitive, and the possibility exists in almost any Olympic judo "contest" with appropriate rules, for the competent aikido practitioner (or perhaps any other art, if they are aware of what the openings are, of course) to seriously injure the judoka. Typically, they (Olympic competition clubs) don't seem to train the underlying, fundamental stuff.

Tangent there, apologies...

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.