View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 01:49 AM   #106
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: No Competition in Aikido(excluding Tomiki)

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Hello Peter,

I have become more convinced that Omoto is a crucial factor in understanding Ueshiba's martial thinking. What is available in English is OK as far as it goes. Kenji Tomiki had the advantage of living in the same era and of being able to talk to people like O Deguchi directly. However, I know that K Chiba, for example, did not accept Morihei Ueshiba's theology and at least one of my older aikido friends did not do so either. He and his family embraced Buddhism and he had no reason to change to Omoto merely because he was a student of M Ueshiba. R Shirata entered the Kobukan Dojo because he was already in Omoto, via his family. As I stated elsewhere, postwar Japanese deshi who entered the Aikikai Hombu will not have studied Omoto because of its connections with ultranationalism, and such study would have been discouraged after the war.

Best wishes,

PAG
Thanks for that Peter - as usual your understanding makes perfect sense to me. The above does not really answer my question concerning the connection between Ueshiba's views on competition and religion but that might be too specific and difficult to get a handle on. Cheers

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido