View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South (formerly Emory Aikikai)
United_States
Re: training in the long haul

A pop-up said its been a while since my last post... So here goes...

I tend to agree with the observation that most organized sports or athletic programs have a conditioning component. Some components are less stringent, or may precede instruction, but they are there. I think you can argue the effeciveness of the component, but my experience in martial arts, community athletics, highschool athletics, and collegiate athletics have all included conditioning as a core element of practice. Aikido is actually the only martial art or athletic practice in which I have been involved that did not include some kind of conditioning as part of regular class.

Second. I have heard the the claim from many aikido people who I respect indicate that certain types of conditioning will make aikido training less intuitive. That's fine. I believe the point of the message is that some of what we do requires a "re-wiring" of body movement; I have not heard anyone make the claim conditioning is bad, just counter-productive to aiki movement. To be fair, I would take issue with a claim that physical activity of any kind is "bad".

Third. I think most martial arts strive to create a workout methodology that maximizes intensity and minimizes injury. I can't imagine a dojo that intended to cause injury amongst its students would survive - we all saw what happened to the Cobra Kai dojo. I am not sure citing a sports injury inherit to participating in a sport is supportive of any claim against, or for, conditioning. What I hear coming from the broken oldies is that the manner in which they trained at an earlier point in their career did not carry a good workout methodology and the level of intensity at which they trained exceeded their bodies' abilities to ward off injury. Some of these individuals are leading the way in creating a workout methodology that allows for intensity with a lower risk of injury.

Last edited by jonreading : 06-24-2013 at 10:52 AM.