View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #37
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: 105) Aikido- Martial Arts Hidden Within: June 2013

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
Ok, so even while my assumption was wrong - thank you for putting that right - this sentence seems to show that the outcome is the same:

Although the waza in your aikido are not designed to not hurt, nevertheless "not to harm or to do as little harm as is necessary" seems to be an aim that is inherent to your aikidō?

This is not the case in my practice. I have never heard that aikidō is about "not to harm, or do as little harm as is necessary, to the attacker" in my context. This has never been part of the teaching of aikidō in my biography. The aikidō I learned is simply not concerned with the physical health of an attacker.

While it is very concerned about how to deal with uke as someone who lays his physicall health in tori's hands and allows him to use his body as a feedback. So the intention of practice on the tatami is to help each other grow.
But uke is not an attacker.
Carsten:

We seem to have similar experiences and beliefs in regards to our Aikido experiences. Preconceived ideas as to what we seek to do, or what our waza can do, can be potentially dangerous if the conditions of a conflict dictate far different outcomes. The breadth of outcomes contained within the depth of our waza can hopefully enable us to be able to utilize what is necessary, based upon the immediate situation at hand.

The true beauty of Aikido (to me) is contained in your statement " So the intention of practice on the tatami is to help each other grow. " That is precisely why I study and teach Aikido. Whereas we may never know if our teachings enable a person to be able to successfully defend him/herself, we can see the how Aikido has enabled us and our students to grow as people. To me, it is this growth than enables us to create a more connected, loving community - which does make us safer. I believe that the authenticity in what I try to teach, helps to create an atmosphere that enables real and positive changes to occur in the lives of my students (and myself).

Cordially,

Marc Abrams