View Single Post
Old 10-30-2002, 07:15 AM   #20
Guest5678
Quote:
Rachel Massey (rachmass) wrote:
Having done no other martial art for close to 20 years, my vote is that aikido is a terrific first, last, and only martial art!

Nothing against doing multiple arts, but why the need?
Experience..... with various attacks and techniques you normally won't get in your Aikido dojo. Also, it really helps us maintain the beginners mind!
Quote:
I have learned committed attacks through aikido.
Committed? ok..... well, have you put on some head gear, light gloves and shin guards and have uke REALLY try to knock you out....? (Boxing)

Ever train with an active college level wrestler? Someone that can really shoot in on you, bring you down and pin you?

(Wrestling or even Judo)

Now I haven't been to your dojo, but I'd venture to say that I doubt you'll be working at this level of "commitment" in your daily Aikido practice....
Quote:
I don't think my aikido has suffered due to lack of some other art. This is a question that each individual answers for themselves, and cannot be answered universally in this type of forum; but for me, the answer is an overwhelming yes.
Suffered? certainly not! But it can expand greatly with other experiences..

I believe all martial art styles have someting to offer and should be explored whenever possible. To limit our experience is to limit our knowledge....

-Mongo