View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 23

There is a mistake in the essay that should be corrected, in order to avoid any misunderstanding. I refer to Motohiro Saito, but the reference should be to Morihiro Saito. I am grateful to Ethan Weisgard for pointing out the mistake.

My second point refers to Takie Sugiyama Lebra's discussion of the logic of apologies. The politician she mentioned was apologizing for the breakdown in 和 wa (harmony) and not for any offence he had committed.

There is a new government in Japan led by Abe Shinzo and the Liberal Democratic Party and calls have been made to ‘revisit' the apology made in 1995 by a previous prime minister, Tomiichi Murayama, for Japan's conduct in South Asia during World War II. Mr Abe has already stated that there is no acceptable definition of ‘invasion' and China and Korea are not amused. It is also instructive to see Mr Toru Hashimoto, the Mayor of Osaka, both apologizing and not apologizing for Japan's wartime conduct concerning Korean ‘comfort women'.

The point here is that Takie Sugiyama Lebra's analysis of apologies in terms of opposition logic can be applied to Japan as well as to the 'western' countries she primarily has in mind.

P A Goldsbury