View Single Post
Old 10-19-2000, 06:11 AM   #22
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
how to get a popular thread

There is a point, in that many people do practise Aikido without reference to the real world situations - however there are many that do not. Both my previous instructors were 2nd Dan in Karate before going into Aikido and there are also many Judo people that come into it (often through injury from both these sports).

I think a good knowledge of martial arts and fighting techniques (including the speed and power with which a boxer can hit you) is essential. Luckily Aikido should also be teaching you good strong Karate style attacks, and judo style strangle holds. After doing Aikido for only two years I managed to help the local karate instructor (who was a friend) who had been wrestled to the floor of a night club by a local bully. A good strong strangle hold from behind, and withdrawing him into a prone position was enough to make him give up.

You confuse Aikido with sports. Aikido is a martial art and it is an aid to your self defence. You do not 'Aikido' someone. If you are in a real situation you use everything that you can (strikes, grapples, chokes etc) but Aikido has the benefit of helping to maximise your body movement during such situations, to get out of the way of attacks, and to do things which people who do sports such as wrestling, karate or judo, would not be able to do due to these moves being illegal in their practise. Their are no illegal techniques in Aikido, even though we usually practise in a formalised manner there is always room for a beginner to ask, but what if I did this?

(This is what I find frustrating about ground work in Judo, some things just aren't allowed).