View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 04:45 AM   #5
Meikyokai Aikido
Dojo: Meikyokai Aikido, London, UK
United Kingdom
Re: Yoshinkan's Robert Mustard 7th dan and TSYR's Toby Threadgill Menkyo Kaiden, in Londo

The below has been posted with permission from Phil Eyers, Genryukan Aikido Club in Dover, UK. I thought it might be of interest to read a different summary of last years seminar .

Having attended a number of UK seminars with Robert Mustard since 2009, and also hosted him once at Genryukan in Dover, I am of course already a big fan.

His sense of humour alone makes for a really enjoyable atmosphere on the tatami. However, Mustard Sensei is very serious about aikido. It is also clearly obvious that after more than 40 years he still enjoys and finds aikido interesting.

What struck me when I met the man was that he is very big. In stark contrast to this, his aikido is very soft and appears effortless, yet it is very powerful. When I first grabbed Mustard Sensei's wrist with all my strength, I fell over. I had no idea why as he appeared to do very little at all. It felt like he had simply taken away all my power and balance.

Last year when Neil Saunders told me Robert Mustard and Toby Threadgill were going to be at a joint event, I was excited, however I wasn't sure how it would work with a Yoshinkan aikido Shihan and the headmaster of a Koryu (Takamura Ha Shindo Yoshin Ryu) teaching at the same event. Would they hold different days, or different sessions. I was amazed to then discover they were going to essentially teach together at the same time. I need not have worried, it worked brilliantly.

Threadgill Sensei is friendly, open and very keen to help. He demonstrated techniques that left everyone scratching their heads wondering how on earth they were done.

The two teachers took turns at instructing on the mat. So for instance, Mustard Sensei would demonstrate an important aikido principle. Threadgill Sensei would then discuss and cover the same principle but in the TSYR context.
These small sessions reinforced what was being covered from two different perspectives. It was a unique but immensely effective and enjoyable format.

If you want to sample world class budo at it's very best, this is the opportunity you have been waiting for. It is really something to behold.

If you have never met these two great teachers, simply book your place on the course right now.

This quote from the Simpsons, referring to an advert for the "Springfield Mega Monster Truck Rally" applies to this seminar - "If you miss this event, you'd better be dead or in jail!"

Phil Eyers