View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 01:58 AM   #14
Ethan Weisgard
Dojo: Copenhagen Aiki Shuren Dojo
Denmark
Re: Where does "Morote Dori" come from?

Most of the footage we have of O-Sensei is from demonstrations. Saito Sensei told us that O-Sensei taught quite differently in comparison to what he showed at demonstrations. There is some footage of O-Sensei actually teaching students ( I don't remember the DVD it is on, but it is one of the Aikido Journal clips). Here you see O-Sensei doing a series of suwari waza techniques, very systematically. By the way: you see him leading out with shomen uchi - calling the uke's tegatana forth to use the arm for a technique. There is one time when the uke strikes first, and O-Sensei slaps his hand away, and then starts the technique again where he himself leads in.

But I digress :-) Saito Sensei often said that O-Sensei taught methodically in Iwama. I think that what we see on the footage from demonstrations is what O-Sensei felt would represent Aikido best for this purpose. Saito Sensei said that O-Sensei would often take one attack and then show a series of techniques against this attack. Or take one technique and show it against many different attacks.

So to me it makes sense that O-Sensei would teach techniques from, for instance, Morote dori - a grip, by the way, that is a very strong control against nage - but would not necessarily use it in his demonstrations.

In aiki,
Ethan