Thread: Now what?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Re: Now what?

Wow... I wonder how this thread got resurrected.. I actually forgot about it entirely. Quite fun seeing it again.

I considered correcting some of the bad spelling, but decided to leave it as is.

Since then I have moved to a different part of Denmark, started my own dojo, graded for nidan as well as both shodan and nidan in Aiki-toho, had my first student grade as far as 2. kyu (he's still practicing), been to Japan about five times and am now slowly starting to prepare for 3. dan in Aikido.. scheduled for some time during 2014 or 2015.

The rest haven't changed much though. Aikido is still an ever growing part of my life. Post-shodan is great.. actually (once you get past the void of realizing the vast number of things you still don't know) it's much better than the first year.

I guess it's like playing an instrument. Just producing sound is great in the beginning. Later you enjoy being able to carry a tune or start playing with other people but once you develop your skill to a level where the more subtle aspects of music come into play (pun intended) you find new ways to enjoy it.

Today I went to the dojo for a session with our other sensei. We did almost an hour of ukemi practice just to explore different ways of holding your hand, using the muscles in the abdomen, rolling across the should etc etc. It was great.

To everybody out there who are in the kyu grades or just passed shodan: if you ever feel discouraged by the periods where nothing works, or if you feel like there is no way you will ever get the hang of it.. yes you are right.. you will never learn everything, but stick to it.. .there is so much to fun to have and so many thing to enjoy as you progress and start develop your own aikido.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration