Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: does nikyo hurt?

Quote:
Conrad Gustafson wrote: View Post
Nikkyo hurts.
It doesn't need to hurt to work.
So, if it is possible that nikyo works whithout hurting (Do I get you rigth: Is this your understanding?) what does "nikyo hurts" mean then?
If you can controll and move uke without using pain but "only" technique, then what is the part of hurting or pain: What are they for if they are not needed?

I experience that it does not depend on uke's skills wether nikyo hurts or not but on tori's way to apply nikyo. Inflicting pain to my experience is a surplus that can be used additionaly. Like in yonkyo.

Quote:
... really going into the painful part to stretch out and strengthen the joints ...
Thank you, and thank you Markus for this explanation!

So this a practice that aims to refine the body of uke? To get the "dust out of the joints" as o sensei called it?
So when students of Asai sensei told me, that "nikyo has to hurt" this was about uke's way of receiving nikyo and not about tori applying nikyo?

Quote:
... if an accomplished practitioner puts on a strong nikkyo at full speed ... . . . nikkyo hurts
I don't understand this statement:
What is a "strong" nikkyo? If "strong" implies to attack uke's joint: Sure. That will hurt.
If "strong" means to clearly control and move uke: No. That doesn't need to hurt.

My experiences with "strong nikyo at full speed" of "accomplished practioners" tell me that your last sentence seems to be true only in a certain paradigm of practice. Actually receiving a fast nikyo from Endo senseiwas one of the key moments that made me change my way of practice.

Last edited by Carsten Möllering : 04-26-2013 at 01:14 AM.