View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #71
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States
Re: Ranking systems in different countries

Ms. Mary, that was very well stated. Carsten, I agree totally with you.

I put in a LOT of early time in on kick-punch arts, and it is relatively easy (that in itself) is a "relative" statement) to reach a level of physical mastery on skillsets such as the boxing jab, front snap-kick, hook, uppercut, and even skills such as a spinning hook kick, etc., primarily because they are "uni-body," meaning, I can go "over there" and practice them by myself.

I can get in front of a heavy bag, and if I am conscious of my technique, work the jab-cross-hook combination into the bag over-and-over-and-over-andover ad nauseum until my shoulders ache with it, and maybe get a 1,000 reps in really quickly, in the grand scheme of things. Do that ten times, and wallah! Mastery of the jab-croos-hook combination, delivered from a particular stance to a particularly "still" opponent (I've yet to meet that guy by the way...).

Compare that with any standard aikido waza. Opponents approach, technique is exchanged, someone falls/is locked or is otherwise dealt with. Then reset. Time? 15 seconds?

In that same 15 seconds, I might have, if I'm awesome enough, practiced the combination punch 15 times.

The time ratio is skewed.

And oh by the way, Tekken 2 was the best overall Tekken game ever. Just sayin'.

LOL Loves me some Tekken, all of 'em!

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.