View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
Mert Gambito
Re: where is the Aiki in Dentokan Aiki-Jujutsu

Quote:
Ewen Ebsworth wrote: View Post
Another new blog, this time examining where the principles of aiki can be seen in the techniques of Dentokan Aiki-Jujutsu. While Hakko Ryu forms of Aiki-Jujutsu place less stress on aiki than possibly Daito-Ryu or Aikido; I believe the principles are still there. From my own training aiki seems to be most connected to breaking balance in Dentokan Aiki-Jujutsu. Aiki is never talked about when explaining the waza (at least not at Shodan level), unless we are practising specific "aiki" variations. However, the principles of the circle, balance and posture and distance are. I believe all these principles are important to aiki both in Aiki-Jujutsu and Aikido, not just breaking balance. I hope my explanations are clear and concise.

http://myjujutsujourney.blogspot.co....i-jujutsu.html
Ewen,

Hakkoryu includes principles and specific means by which to achieve aiki as core to the jujutsu and shiatsu aspects of the system. The opening section of the Hakkoryu shodan manual, which all mudansha first read, discusses kamae, eschewing use of force, and other qualities required for use of aiki, and use of ki specific to Hakkoryu through understanding of shiatsu (heck, the Hakkoryu public website even touches on these things openly).

Aiki Nage, for example, is a waza that appears early in the order of shodan-ge, and the spiraling in and yo that is required to create aiki is emphasized in that technique, building on the foundational in and yo of Hakko Dori (Hakkoryu's expression of Aiki Age, with emphasis on the atemi that generally differentiates Hakkoryu from Daito-ryu and aikido). Hakkoryu waza are ordered so that each informs its successors, so: Hakko Dori and Aiki Age, along with Atemi, lay the foundation for developing and using aiki, and ki via atemi, that are required for Te Kagami and the Osae Dori waza you mentioned in your blogpost.

Unfortunately, the degree to which these things are taught, and how they're taught, is a major mileage / kilometerage variable, as in Daito-ryu and aikido.

Mert