View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 01:30 AM   #22
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: "Conventional Muscles" and Internal Power

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post
Truth is IS work is not as mysterious as those arguing against it would like to claim. It's a fairly organized body of knowledge with a long history. No two practitioners or schools agree on all of it, but so what--when did two martial artists ever agree on anything? The broad outlines and the training methodology are clear.
I don't think you are accurately portraying this discussion. I'm not so certain that anyone is arguing against "IP/IT/IS." And I would say that if anyone was touting it as "mysterious" it would be a few of the "IP/IT/IS" proponents. In fact, if there is an argument against it, it would be that it is not unique, unusual, or mysterious.

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post
One of the things that there's general agreement on is that traditional strength training gets in the way. You can read about Chinese masters 500 years ago complaining about having to give up strength training to get good at internals. And that has nothing to do with focusing on single joints or muscle groups--I know exactly how much of your body you have to integrate to do a squat with any significant weight.
What are these works? Can you tell me where to find them?

That is quite a bit earlier than I understand the word neijia was used with the meaning that you all assign to it here.

And when did we start calling it "internals"? What exactly is included in that category?

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki