Thread: keep One Point
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #18
RonRagusa
United_States
Re: keep One Point

Quote:
Lee Salzman wrote: View Post
The concept, from bird's eye view (and perhaps the bird has cataracts): say I want to make a circle, I must forget that I am making a circle. At each moment, at each point (in space and time), I am just trying to make the best linear forces I can. I do not scatter myself to a bunch of different directions or where I want to go or where I was. Rather, "here" I am, and I try to be the best "here" I can be. But, woops, no clinging to that moment, by the time I recognize that moment, forces that I have exerted have put me somewhere else. The next moment has come, and I am somewhere else, and the relationship of me to that circle I somehow happened to be making has now changed. I must then be "here" again, and "here" has changed, so the linear forces I am dealing with must necessarily have changed. Any conscious analysis/clinging to something/thoughts will just totally screw it up. Reality doesn't take breaks while you stop to think, so you can't stop to think.
Nice example. To really bring it home, try making the circle while thinking about last night's dinner or all the appointments you have coming up next week. Keeping one point, to borrow an analogy from baseball, is nothing more than keeping your eye on the ball.

Quote:
It's basically a feedback loop between awareness/observance of the goal and the moment-to-moment optimization/course correction that effects that goal.
The more you can reduce the time interval between perception and action the more closely mind and body are coordinated. And while you can never reduce the interval to zero, it can approach zero without limit.

Quote:
It's a state of mind that is recognized, isolated, and trained to deeper levels.
It's a little more complex than a state of mind since the body is involved as well. Call it a state of mind/body. And you're right when you state that it can be "recognized, isolated, and trained to deeper levels."

Ron