View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 01:40 AM   #42
Mert Gambito
Re: Tomiki Kenji's Attribution of Ueshiba's Skill to "Muscular Training"

Quote:
Michael Varin wrote:
Quote:
John Powell wrote:
Was what Howard was going to me, demonstrating some IP which could be used to hold his position a "trick" or was it "useful?" I've no idea. Do I think that someone who could use that at need "make it useful" in a self-defense context, you bet your bananas.
Have you thought about it since??? What was happening? Why can't you explain it? Do you think Howard could do it in any situation?
By the way, the much maligned "Chris H." can do the very same thing (negating a push while standing square or on one foot or the other), and I'm not just saying that because he's my friend.
Michael,

Just to add some clarification: Dan Harden does not need to create a "structure" with the uke, i.e. nage touching uke's pushing arm(s) with one or both hands, to negate a push while standing on one or both feet. The uke simply pushes, and the only point(s) of contact between the nage and uke are where the uke is pushing on the nage's body.

Presumably, since Howard trains in Dan's method, and Howard is known for being relatively immovable when pushed, Howard is also able to do the same thing, without the need to create a structure. However, hopefully John will return and clarify the conditions under which Howard did the push-test demos.

Mert