View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #29
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States
Re: The Voice Steven Seagal interview

I've always enjoyed, in a sort of weird, uncomfortable way, listening to SS speak. There's no question that his, I'll just broaden them out over and out of only aikido into martial arts, skills are top-tier.

It's his manner of speaking, and the way it leads to questionable credibility that makes me cringe. I'm not going to go back and try to tack the dates together, you'll have already noted that his method of speaking always has wiggle-words (i.e. "about the same age...), so that ends up being a waste of time. The problem is, he's always been that way, sort of secretive, but sort of out there at the same time. Conundrum.

One thing that made me grin, when he was talking about visiting with Russian President Vladimir Putin at his home, and mentioned Putin's having a life-size statue of the founder of judo, he said without any hesitation at all "Kano Jigaro," with perfect inflection, instead of (mine included) westernized Jigoro Kano. A little thing, and probably most likely due to his Japanese fluency, but still.

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.