View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: IA - Internal Alignment

Quote:
Dan Richards wrote: View Post

Cady, I agree with you not only in its important, but that it's not something to have an entire curriculum built up around it. And that's exactly where I think the snag is. What's needed are let's say "a suite of tools." And I agree they're out there. But they're inside entire curriculums, and it's often difficult for people to decipher what is what.

There is no reason the idea of something like Internal Alignment can not be a discrete and identifiable and stand-alone suite of tools and that give quick verifiable results. Use it as part of an ongoing maintenance kit. And you can stop there if you like. If you want more performance, then you go to the kind of people and systems - like what AMG does for Mercedes.
Dan:

What Cady pointed out needs to be thought through at a deeper level by you. If our world existed as a static experience, then to simply create proper alignment is all that is necessary. The next steps involve learning how to move that aligned body in a connected manner. That is extremely difficult and requires a lot of time spent with solo practice. The next level of complication is when you are now asked to move a connected, aligned body that is being subjected to various force loads from another person.

Each of these next steps require you to essentially reprogram how you body moves and then moves when subjected to force. Whereas our bodies are structured in a manner to function at remarkable levels when properly reprogrammed, we do not naturally move and respond to forces in that reprogrammed manner. You are essentially having to continually confront the "old way" and replace it with the "new way" at so many levels. The more you do this kind of work, the more you see how much more work there is ahead of you.

In the beginning, your idea sounds alright, but will not allow you to be able to transfer a static, aligned structured into any kind of movement that reflected "internal training".

Marc Abrams