View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #71
Mert Gambito
Re: Aikido Predator Mindset

Quote:
Ewen Ebsworth wrote:
which is why I said "modern" aiki-jujutsu to make that distinction. Sorry if it wasn't clear enough though.
The thing is, based on historical evidence, Daito-ryu, Hakkoryu and aikido are all gendai budo.

OK, back to the topic of the OP.

Miller states in Meditations on Violence that self-defense is the focus of his book -- not self-defense as a secondary or even less significant emphasis in one's martial training. He states about the "predator" mindset: "This mindset, in my experience, horrifies the people seeking spiritual growth."

Miller does not advocate trying to cultivate a predator mindset as the primary approach to martial arts / self-defense training. Rather, he advocates developing the ability to switch on a predator mindset during a violent encounter in progress to survive the encounter. And, in the process of training to do so, change one's natural reaction from freezing in the wake of an overwhelming assault by a predator to being proactive.

Morihei Ueshiba expressly advocated against harming and killing one's opponent/attacker. "To injure an opponent is to injure yourself. To control aggression without inflicting injury is the Art of Peace. . . . [w]e try to completely avoid killing, even the most evil person." So . . .

Quote:
I guess I'm asking "if I WANT to hurt the attacker and not protect them with a throw" is that considered aikido? I know I have a universal right to protect myself, but should there be a desire to punish someone for attacking me?
. . . is apparently not what aikido is all about.

The predator mindset Miller describes -- which as a tool of criminals, a professional combatant defending his/her homeland, someone exerting self-defense, etc. may be directed toward what society sees as unlawful as well as just purposes depending on the situation and the role of the predator -- for practical purposes often ends in harm to or death of the person(s) on the receiving end. However, I took away from reading the book the notion that cultivating the predator mindset is primarily about preparing one's self to be capable of executing as many options as possible, based on one's training, to address violence when it is upon you. Those options certainly can include the ability to be in enough control of the situation as to not cause harm.

Mert