View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #19
Dan Richards

Dojo: Aiki Research
United_States
Re: The transmission of aikido

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
I already discussed it some in other places - and the historical stuff has been kicked around for years on AikiWeb and is still available.
Yes, I'm aware of that. I just thought you had something else in mind when you mentioned, that's probably another, longer, discussion.

Has there been any correlations between a more free, spontaneous improvisational Takemusu Aiki and American jazz? Because they both came of age at around the same time. Similar to Lee's JKD approach. It's as if the middle of the 20th century went through a big "ha" stage, breaking with outer form, and then moving into ri. Even Ueshiba's later Takemusu Tsunamori seems to have corresponded with others in art, fashion, lifestyle, spiritual approaches. LSD even came of age during that time. And there again, more of that German (and Swiss) engineering that so heavily affected and influenced what became modern aikido. Any discussions along those lines somewhere?

Dan Richards - Aiki Research

"Budo must always reflect its surroundings. If it isn't newer and stronger, it isn't valid." - Shoji Nishio