View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #51
Walter Martindale
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
Canada
Re: Please help - got injured badly in aikido 2 days ago.worried I can't do aikido future

I've separated my AC on the right side early on in aikido.
In 2008 a fellow named Hamish Bond was hit by a truck while cycling and separated his shoulder. Last time I saw him you could probably fit your thumb between his clavicle and his scapula. (collar bone and shoulder-blade)
He's also raced at the Beijing Olympics, won the world championships in the pair in 09, 10, and 11, and won the London Olympics with no connection between the two bones, training up to 6 hours per day 6 days per week for 11 months a year since Beijing.
In one interview he was asked about his shoulder separation (this was a while ago)

'Eagerly, the university student asks: "Want to see it?"
Without waiting for an answer, Bond rotates his shoulder forward to reveal the collarbone protruding well away from his shoulder.
"I separated my shoulder (when he was hit while out cycling). Basically my collarbone isn't attached to the shoulder blade but it doesn't really bother me."'

You can do a lot with a separated shoulder. Proper physio and proper rehab exercises are important.