View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #21
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States
Re: Interview with Yoshimitsu Yamada Shihan: The Free Mind

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Well, he was always kind to me - he took me with him the first time that I went to Japan in 1982, although he knew that I was a Saotome student. Still, there's no denying that he has his warts (who doesn't?).

Anyway, what's most important about the interview is not who founded the New York Aikikai (and note that the bit about the New York Aikikai was part of the introduction by Leo Tamaki, not from a statement by Yamada, who has stated publicly in the past that when he arrived the dojo already existed), but his opinions on Aikido and Aikido organizations, IMO.

Best,

Chris
Agreed Chris. We all have warts (and Leo got the statement from somewhere (hint hint)) and I highly respect both Yamada Shihan's experience and opinions.

Back in the early 60's, misogyny was rampant in both Japanese and American culture, especially in the Martial Arts. Virginia in her prime was a very beautiful and accomplished woman. And very intimidating on the mat. All I can say is Virginia shared many personal experiences with both Micheal Fowler Sensei and I on the more "personal side" of many (but thankfully not all) of O' Sensei's students of that era. And that's all I am going to say about that.

In sum I think it best that each person be responsible for revealing their own "warts' in the spirit of humility...Especially in Aikido I won't stoop to pointing out another Aikidoka's except to say that the only person you're fooling is yourself if someone feels that just because you don't reveal yours means that we can't see them. That is why I find this interview very interesting

William Hazen.

Last edited by Aikibu : 03-09-2013 at 08:35 PM.