View Single Post
Old 10-27-2002, 03:22 AM   #1
isshinryu88
Lack of Progress or Lack of Patience?

I've been studying Aikido for 3 months now. Most of my experience has been in Karate. I'd asked a while back if many Aikido dojo were like mine in that there was no real set curriculum, although there is a set of specific techniques to be tested on. Many of the answers seemed to be yes.

In reviewing the techniques required for the first test, I'm sure that of the 11, we've only regularly covered half and of the remaining half only once or twice.

I understand that testing isn't everything, but I also don't want to be in class 6 months or even a year from now and come to the realization that I don't know much more at that point than I know now. My assumption has always been that if a specific testing curriculum is developed, than it represents what the style considers to be an important foundation.

If I thought that we might focus on a technique enough to the point where I would be proficient enough to recognize the technique's name and then perform it, I wouldn't be too concerned. So far though, we rarely focus on a technique for more than 10 minutes or so a class.

Are my experiences so far similar to other's experiences? Am I being impatient or should I be concerned about the apparent lack of focus so far?

Last edited by isshinryu88 : 10-27-2002 at 03:27 AM.