View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
robin_jet_alt
Australia
Re: Transfering Ranks Between Schools

I have done this several times, and it was different each time. The first time, my rank was not recognised. I was 1st kyu at the time, and I moved from a coloured belt system into a system where you wear a white belt until shodan. Anyway, I wore a white belt, just as I would have if my rank had been recognised and the people were very understanding, so it didn't really make a difference. They didn't make me go through all the gradings again though. They just waited until they thought I was ready for shodan, and then I moved up to that. (it took 4 years.) Then I moved to a place that had very different techniques, but recognised my rank. They just took me aside for a while to show me how they did things, and I was planning to grade to 2dan about a year and a half later if I hadn't had to move again. Then I moved to Yuishinkai, where they would have recognised my rank if I'd sent in the paperwork, but my teacher basically decided I was ready to move up to 2 dan anyway, so I just graded into the new system. In the mean time, I still wore my black belt and hakama as a guest.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, everywhere will approach it differently, but it won't really matter whether they recognise it or not. Just enjoy your training, and it will all sort itself out in the end.