View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #29
aiki-jujutsuka

Re: A Christian perspective on Budo

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your thoughts. I don't disagree with you, Christians should be impartial - in fact the Bible calls partiality a sin. It is not our place to judge another - again Jesus' teachings and example in this area is very clear. However, I think you misunderstood what I was saying in this paragraph - I was addressing the attitude, prevelant amongst many Christians that violence in all forms (including self-defence) is wrong and that Christians shouldn't engage in martial arts but rather seek only pacifistic approaches to violent behaviour or patterns in society. There seems to be a strange sort of fatalism among some Christians that if they're attacked or mugged then either God will supernaturally protect them or it is God's will for them to be beaten and victimized. I don't hold to this view; I believe God has equipped human beings to be able to reasonably defend themselves without necessarily becoming violent people ourselves and I don't believe (as I hope I explained) that Jesus teaches strict, dogmatic pacifism.

I hope this helps clear things up but I am happy to explain myself further if you'd like.