View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 01:25 AM   #16
ryback
Re: hand technique = strike technique

I agree with Cliff and Basia that Aikido techniques are much more complicated than the stricking descriptions,they incorporate more than just one axis, sometimes you move in two or three orbits simultaneously.
I also agree with Graham when he says that sometimes a kote gaeshi can be like a tsuki and sometimes not.
In some videos that Dan posted it would appear that his descriptions are correct, but that is not always the case. Let's take for example the already mentioned kote gaeshi.The Uke is attacking with a shomen stricke and the Tori is sliding in on his side, sweeping the uke's stricking hand downwards. Next the tori makes a tenkan rotation, taking the uke's arm into his centre and taking the uke's balance. Then the tori steps far and diagonaly back while at the same time he makes the kote gaeshi move throwing the uke into the space he created by stepping back.
First of all I agree with Dan about the way kote gaeshi is executed. It is indeed a forearm return to its centre, that is a very accurate description. The movement of the feet and hips could very well be the ones of a tsuki, but also one could use the same steps and tai sabaki for a deep gedan level shomen with a sword.
In tachi dori kote gaeshi, when the uke attacks with a shomen you use the same asi sabaki, te sabaki and tai sabaki as in the previous example to disarm him with a kote gaeshi. But the correct execution is that while you "return his forearm to its centre" you actually cut with the uke's own sword, thus kote gaeshi gets a shomen feeling rather than tsuki. Feeling that you are cutting with the uke's sword gives much more power to the technique, from a leverage point of view.
In a Nikkyo example i can see why it is usually a shomen motion. Yet, even in that technique, there is a variation that if the uke tries to turn while you perform an "outside Nikkyo" you immediatelly change your cutting movement from a vertical one to a horizontal one in order to compensate. Therefore the Nikkyo then has more of a sideways slash feeling, than a shomen uchi feeling.
Tenchi nage and irimi nage have nothing to do with tsuki the way i see it.The arms and hands are making a kokyu circle and once more the asi sabaki and tai sabaki could be the same in a tsuki or shomen move.
So my point here is that the techniques of Aikido in terms of feet movement, tai sabaki and the orbits in which the tori moves are far to complicated to be described with the stricking movements. They have much more complex principles. Furthermore the technique is not only the closing throwing or immobilizing move but also all the way to get there.