View Single Post
Old 10-25-2002, 02:02 PM   #22
G DiPierro
United_States
Quote:
Jason Tonks wrote:
What I mean by that is that the I'm taking ukemi unnecessarily. The technique is not on and the power is not there, ie - I'm going so as not to appear an awkard Uke.
Jason, this is a difficult situation, and there are many factors that you must take into consideration. I had originally written a longer reply discussing some of these factors, but I decided not to post it because I don't know enough details of the situation to know whether the factors I focused on are relevant to your situation.

The bottom line, though, is that you should never take ukemi unnecessarily. If you don't feel that you should move, then don't move. Usually, doing this will at least gain you some insight into the reasons why you should or should not have been moving. You are right that doing what you think you shouldn't be doing isn't going to help you, but only you can change that situation.

As for the people who are wondering what is meant by the terms "hard" and "soft" in this thread, I think Jason defined his use of those terms quite well in his intial post.