View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #24
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: The techniques of Budo Renshuu #50-60

Quote:
Conrad Gustafson wrote: View Post
I've been working through these as well. They are a challenge - like little puzzles sometimes. I'll have to get the book in front of me and go slowly through your video to see if your "solutions" are the same as mine. The video looks pretty good IMHO.

BTW - shaved head and black gi look pretty badass! ;-)
Thanks. Yeah, I feel the same way. Making the video has been great, because with the book in front of me I can more easily see where I may be making mistakes, and miss an atemi or something. It's really hard to go through the technique with a partner, try and decipher what the book is saying, and then try and do it again. The video makes it a little easier. I've also found so many things that seem to be mistakes. Like the instructions saying to move to Uke's right, but the picture shows moving to the left. It's hard to know if there is a movement I'm misunderstanding or if it's just an editing mistake.

From what I understand these books where hand copied, so there are differences. I wrote Pranin Sensei and asked him if he knew how many copies were known to exist, and who had them. He said he didn't know.

I would also love to see all of the Noma Dojo pictures, I think those might help to shed some more light. And if you haven't yet checked out Aikido Densho you should, there is a PDF on Aikido Journal. Some of those pictures help to better show what is going on. There is not a translation of Aikido Densho that I know of, but I've had some of my students do rough translations for me, and the instructions sound much more clear as well.