Old 02-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: The Gordian Knot of Grading

Quote:
Eddy Wolput wrote: View Post
"There are no medals to be won in aikido, since there is no championship"

This is a strong statement, but you ignores a part of the Aikido community which are doing championships.
The rest of the article I can understand your view on grading in aikido. But still there is something strange : in most Modern Japanese Martial Arts, a shodan is rewarded with a black belt, and I think most of the people are proud to become a black belt, on the other hand most of our mentors always said the belt is a tool to keep the dogi closed. Why they gave a black belt?

Just a thought,
Eddy
The person responsible for much of the ranking in the United States, Yoshimitsu Yamada, seems to have some of the same conflicts:

Quote:
Well, the ranking system in aikido is another headache. I personally disagree with this system. A teaching certificate is okay, a black belt is okay. But after that, no numbers, no shodan, no nidan, etc. People know who is good and who is bad. The dan ranking system creates a competitive mind, because people judge others - "oh, he is sixth dan, but he is not good, this guy is much better…"
From "Something's Rank - Black Belts in Aikido".

Best,

Chris