View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #31
HL1978
Dojo: Aunkai
United_States
Re: experiences in applying a float to waza?

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
It could be that I'm selecting the parts that seem relevant to me. I think that's a fair assessment.

I'm trying to find the parts where you actually explain the components of IS. When I read them, to me they just sound like a really complicated way to say something, that can be said in much more plain terms.

To me, I believe that the problem we are really having is imagery and words. I know I keep saying this. But I really think that is the difference and not an actual physical one.

I'm trying to see the difference, I'm listening.
Well, this stuff is much easier to show in person. Thats when you can make small adjustments and you feel loads in the body move and things get heavier, or muscles which you aren't used to (stabilizers) using get fatigued very quickly.

So say we're going to do kokyu dosa and you are giving me a little bit of an input while holding my wrists. So when I first start executing whatever waza I want to do, you should be able to feel when i push on you with my biceps, then if i move to my shoulder, then if i move to my lower back, then if i push with my abs, hips, and quads. I would reset after starting to move from each part. If you then are moved, after i sequentially push with each of those parts of my body, but you don't feel me pushing from any of those parts, how can I be moving you? I can't be bracing to hold structure in place because you would feel the tension in my body that results, particularly if we are moving very slowly.

That would be an indicator, that you are moving yourself as a result of the energy you are giving me. Once you get that, it makes the waza practice very easy to do because your partner does all the work for you, you just direct them in the direction you want them to go.

I'm going to take a time out for a bit and give others who are working on this stuff a chance to discuss their experiences in floating.