View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #26
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: experiences in applying a float to waza?

Quote:
Hunter Lonsberry wrote: View Post
For the clarification for those new to the subject, it refers to a force coming up from underneath the other person,
So the force is lower, correct, because it's coming from underneath.

I see a follow up to this being- the force is lower, but I am not. So my follow up question would be, what is making the force if you are not?? In order for the force to be lower (which it has to be if it's underneath) you must be lower, because you are making the force. I know you imagine bouncing the force, or the force coming from the ground up, but it's not really doing that, it's an image.

What is really happening is that you are pushing from a lower point then they are stopping the push from. That's how you "get lower than them without getting lower than them". You push from your legs (which is very low) into their higher parts, as I said it's usually the shoulder when I do it. You don't have to drop your hips.

Now what makes this hard, is when the other person knows you are doing this, and they start resisting the push from lower spots, and start working to keep you from getting into pushing high spots on them. Then when two people are skilled at this, they start dropping there hips, so they can gain advantage.

They don't drop their hips because they are ignorant of body use, quite the opposite, they are working against another skilled person who is keeping them from wedging them up- or "floating" them.

Quote:
Could you clarify why you don't see this as aiki? There is a mixing of your weight/energy and your opponents which you put back on out into your opponent.
I don't call that Aiki, because I believe Aiki is the ability to understand the mind and intention of your attacker, then blend accordingly. I know other people have other definitions, and that's cool.

Quote:
You don't need to find a sticking point, though it is certainly helpful and your partner's movement is certainly far more dramatic. Of course with a more and more experienced person, they won't present such a point or at least far less often and without being a limp noodle. What you really need to do, is bring that energy/force to the point of contact that they have maintained with you. You will still get movement, even if the other person is like a limp noodle as that limb is still connected through the support structures of the body to the torso.
If you don't find a sticking point, you don't have access to the connected support structures. If they don't lock them selves and you can't lock something out there is no path to the center. This might mean going all the way to the end of range of motion, but you must find this spot, or only the limb you are moving, will move.

Quote:
If I only use what you give me, and only use whatever muscle I need to hold myself up, I'm not relying on muscular power.
How are you directing the force "someone gave you"? You have to use muscle to do that right? If the only thing that moves your body is muscle, and there is force coming in, you must use something to direct that force.

If you are relying on muscle to hold you up. And relying on muscle to redirect the force (what someone gave you). Are you using besides muscle? It sounds to me like you're relying on muscle...