View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 02:46 AM   #48
Mert Gambito
Re: Int. Vs. Ext - resisting a push

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote:
Good athletes feel the force coming in, and adjust to it as it does. This is also what I believe good internal people do. I don't believe that good internal people are simply always stable from every direction and they never need to adjust to new forces from different angles.
Chris,

Dan Harden, for example, can demonstrate exactly what you stated above that you don't believe is possible. Dan, in introductory workshops, covers Tohei's one-point model as a representation of foundational/rudimentary six-directional IP/IS training then adds to the foundation until the demonstrations involve fure-aiki (which has been discussed at length in the past) in a conditioned body (his) that inherently cancels forces regardless of their incoming vectors.

It is not athletics, and no amount of trying to pound a square peg into a round hole is going to change that.

About a decade ago, I trained with an ex-NFL defensive back, Lou Smith, with an extensive background in BJJ (and FMA) -- so this guy, as you can imagine, knows how to take someone down. My Hakkoryu teacher has an excellent model for utilizing sen-no-sen to counter committed attacks, and they've worked on every grappler who's shown up with dojo-arashi on the brain. It is good stuff, and in line with a lot of what you've describing as "aiki". Lou became a student because of this reputation (he was a gentleman and I enjoyed training with him). It's been awhile since I've seen Lou, but he runs a well-regarded sports-training business in Orange County, and I'm sure he'd be happy to vet what I've stated here.

But guess what? It's not fure-aiki -- which would not require sen-no-sen to negate an attempted double-leg: the takedown attempt would simply fail no matter how much the grappler changed his/her approach to generating leverage (Dan speaks of the ability to generate aiki from the back of the legs, which he's allowed attendees to sample by trying, at full strength and with all manners of regripping-and repositioning allowed, singles and doubles on him during workshops).

Mert