View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #43
Gary David

United_States
Re: Int. Vs. Ext - resisting a push

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
Ha, kind of flipping things around aren't we? I admire the attempt.

I've never said that ANYONE can achieve omnidirectional stability. I don't think anyone can. I can't even imagine how that could possibly happen. That's been one of my questions all along.

I do believe 'internal' people and athletes, both being at a good level, are physically doing basically the same things. I don't believe 'internal' people can do anything that athletes can't do. Good athletes feel the force coming in, and adjust to it as it does. This is also what I believe good internal people do. I don't believe that good internal people are simply always stable from every direction and they never need to adjust to new forces from different angles.

If they ('internal' people) can do this, my question is how? I do not suggest that athletes can do this, 'omnidirectional stability'.

I've made my diagrams. I made them to illustrate how I understand one can align with with incoming force. I have yet to see a logical argument for how 'internal' stability is different, so it would be impossible for me to make a diagram for this. If you explain to me how it's suppose to work, maybe I could make a diagram for you.
Chris
I don't remember anyone of the named "internals" talking about omnidirectional stability all the time and every time. To me at my low level of understanding the goal for me is directional awareness leading to some level of directional stability that incorporates some level of skill that allows me to re-establish stability quickly no matter the direction it comes from. I believe that it is possible at some level of varying force, and one changing directions, to establish what appears to be so stable that one is not moving. The level of awareness in the receiving person is so keen the the response to the incoming changing forces happens so smoothly that it nullifies the incoming changes almost before they happen. To make this possible one needs to bring into play all of their tools.....mental, physical, spiritual, patience.......and on and on..... to finally reach some level of competency.

The difference here is the training methods, some of which seem of have been around on a limited basis for sometime. There are keys to the puzzle that are in these "internal" methods that up the skill levels.....but won't shorten the training time. These could improve most of the solo drills currently part of Aikido. For years I thought the practice of placing your hands palm up on the underside of the arms of the individual pushing on your chest was to physically drop then come back up under that pusher to lift them up on their toes..... this is correct, but it is only the beginning level....and we never got any more than that. We never got out of this frame. The next stages should have the pushing person coming off their feet without you seeming to do anything. How do you get there is the question and the needed training. Please don't ask for illustrations as I can do them.

I have been asking these questions for 30 years, getting a hint here and there.....resources and doors to open are few and hard to find......and easily lost.

Good luck with your training.

Gary