View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 04:33 AM   #51
Dave de Vos

Dojo: Shoryukai, Breda (aikikai) & Aiki-Budocentrum Breda (yoseikan)
Netherlands
Re: A simple mechanical model of body use.

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
Who knows, I'm surprised all the time, but it's something I can't find a reason to believe could/would exist. Either way, even if it does exist, would it be more useful to be able to do this? Does it offer an advantage? If so, in what ways would it offer an advantage? I think the general idea behind "relax the shoulder muscles" has more to do with not using the shoulder muscles at the wrong time, than it has to do with not using the shoulder muscles at all. To me this interpretation has much more meaning and practicality then simply, you never use your shoulder muscles.
I find it hard to interpret what people mean exactly by "relaxing the shoulders". I usually interpret is as keeping the shoulders down and not stiff. I think the latter is closer to what Dan teaches, but I may be wrong.
Anyway, this is one of the things that I hear in internal classes as well as in regular aikido classes. Are these athletic tips that partially overlap with internal training, or are these internal tips that were partially preserved in regular aikido? I think instances of both exist. Which is which? I don't know.

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
If someone asked me if I practice 'internal' martial arts, I would say yes. It is through studying with and reading the works of many great 'internal' teachers that I developed my understanding of how the body works. However, as time has gone on, I've realized that modern athletics echo's these same lessons/ideas/practices. I was super pleased when I realized this because it gave me more people to learn from and a better understanding of what I was trying to do.
It's kind of fun discussing wether internals falls within athletics or not, but I don't think discussing it will change your conviction or mine. BTW, I don't think a martial arts teacher has to be internal to be worthwile. Far from it.

Last edited by Dave de Vos : 01-27-2013 at 04:37 AM.