View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #48
Dave de Vos

Dojo: Shoryukai, Breda (aikikai) & Aiki-Budocentrum Breda (yoseikan)
Netherlands
Re: A simple mechanical model of body use.

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
Effect the extremities and create specific movement in the extremities are different things.

For example. Can I effect my shoulder by moving my leg- yes. Can I raise my arm without using the muscles of the deltoid- no I cannot.
Neither can I (which means little). When I raise my left hand sideways and then feel my left deltoid by sqeezing it with my right hand, it feels more solid than when my left arm hangs limp at my side. I assume it's unavoidable, but perhaps there exist people who can do it while keeping their deltoids really soft. I think I read somewhere on AikiWeb that Ikeda can do it.

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
The body can work together in unison, and it should. This is athletic activity. This is why football players are so powerful, they use their body in good internal rhythm. This is athletic.

Can a person walk, using only the muscles of the core- as far as I can tell they cannot. Can a person slowly raise their arm without using the localized muscles of the arm- are far as I can tell they cannot. These are the kinds of claims that I feel I'm hearing.
I too think that movement requires local muscle. And in general, movement requires orchestration of different body parts working in unison. Basic coordination is already quite a complicated thing when you try to decompose it. Making robots that move like animals or humans seems to be quite a challenge.

IMO this is not what separates athletic movement from internals. I don't think that internal movement requires orchestration while athletic movement doesn't. It's just that the orchestration is different and training methods are different and I think the priorities are also different.