Thread: Sparring
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2002, 11:43 AM   #1
TomanGaidin
Question Sparring

I just have a few questions regarding sparring within Aikido. As I've said in my post on the intro board, I'm very new to all this, so bear with me .

First of all... can sparring actually be done easily enough in Aikido? I haven't seen much of a 'dynamic' practice of any sort so far. Then again, I'm new, so I'm not sure if something like that only comes in at the later levels. I presume it can be done alongside other styles, as I've read a few posts commenting about sparring with those who do other martial art styles, but I'm not sure - at this level - how it would work too well. So far, all I can think of is that both would be waiting for the other to attack, as it seems to be the defender who'd come off best if purely Aikido techniques were utilised.

On another note... they do karate at the local gym, where I play squash as a member of one of their squads. It's a fairly small gym, not a 'factory-type' one with ranks of treadmill-runners by any means ;p. If I asked, I could probably set up a spar easily enough with one of the karate students there, though I'm just wondering at what level I should get to before I even think of trying anything like that - even if something like that is just for fun.

Replies and help are appreciated .