View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
Chris Li
Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
Re: Shiro Omiya Shihan on "Aiki"

Ron Ragusa wrote: View Post
Chris, you can look at any of Ueshiba's clips on Youtube regardless of the era and see the same thing. He demonstrates a clear pattern in his movements that fully support the statement, regardless of how you choose to interpret his words. I chose the 1935 video precisely because he is doing prewar Aikido and in fact it looks pretty much the same as what Mark Murray refers to Modern Aikido.

First, lots of leading, blending and very little overt control:

Here's one where he demonstrates a more power oriented Aiki:

This one contains both aspects of Aiki:

You seem to be of the opinion that what I call two sides of the same Aiki coin are mutually exclusive rather than complimentary. I don't see it that way and based on what I can see Ueshiba doing and reading from what you say is a pretty straightforward translation of his own words, I don't think he did either.

Again, I don't deny that he moved around, led, blended or whatever - I'm saying that he didn't call it Aiki. That's not based on a single quote from an interview designed for popular consumption. That's based on a body of written work.

There's nothing wrong with any of the things you're talking about, but just because Ueshiba shows something in a film doesn't mean that it's "Aiki" (or rather, it doesn't mean that what you're pointing out in the film is "Aiki"). Not everything is "Aiki". Even if Ueshiba does it.

I never said anything was mutually exclusive. I'm talking about the meaning of a particular term. Because people have not been clear about what "Aiki" means there has been an increasing tendency to characterize anything "Aikido-like" as "Aiki", which is just fine - but that doesn't mean that Ueshiba used it the same way.