Thread: Vantage points
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 09:09 PM   #64
MM
United_States
Re: Pertaining to the seeds of rancor

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
This line of argument that one group is "better" than the other has no place in a discussion forum. Please stop.

-- Jun
I find it amazing that the preeminent reason that people trained with Ueshiba was that he martially handed them their ass, as the saying goes. Pre-war students to post-war students were interviewed and most of them said they had no idea what he was talking about when he rambled on spiritually. Yet, there's anecdotes of students first experience with Ueshiba and it was them (them meaning some solid martial artists with a lot of experience) getting manhandled in a way in which they could not understand.

The same was said of Sagawa. The same with Horikawa. As with Takeda. As a group, the only reason men/women trained with them, men/women begged to train with them, and men/women did whatever they could to be accepted was because, as a group, they dominated in a manner in which none could understand.

And now, you say that what the very founder of Aikido, Morihei Ueshiba, did, has no place on this forum? Morihei Ueshiba and his peers were far better than most other martial artists. It was their being so different that allowed them to stand out. Some very experienced, very tough martial artists came, experienced, and were converted by being manhandled. And not by just more of the same martial applications they'd already trained for 20-40 years. As a group, people with aiki dominated and students came to study with them exactly for that reason.

Jun, if you want Aikiweb to be a place for just Modern Aikido, all you have to do is state it outright. I'll stop. I'll quit posting about the founder of Aikido, Morihei Ueshiba, his unusual abilities, his mysterious skills, his aiki, all which are specific things and not something that is everything to everyone. If you want the Modern "aiki" that is everything to everyone, from the receiver dodging defenders to the person wearing a beret, just say so. I'll stop talking about Ueshiba's aiki. I do what I say. If that's what you want, let me know.