View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 08:18 AM   #42
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Vantage points

Quote:
David Soroko wrote: View Post
You appeal to Dan Harden's authority and when asked for clarification you reply with .
It wasn't an appeal to authority. My point was that everybody here attempts to use terms like "Aiki" with whatever definitions they use. My sense, historically, is that Dan has been criticized in many cases because he's "not an Aikido person". That was my point.

Quote:
David Soroko wrote: View Post
It has been said that "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof".

You, as in the followers of Dan Harden's method, claim exclusivity on "Aiki" while narrowing its meaning to suit your world view. To me this is extraordinary enough to require a proof. Should be to you too.
Dan's certainly never claimed exclusivity, neither have I. In fact I've said said many times that every one of Ueshiba's students that I've trained with got some or got a lot of what I'm talking about.

That there are opinions that I disagree with is obvious - isn't that true of everyone? That doesn't equal exclusivity.

Maybe this will make it a little clearer - here's something that I posted back in April 2012:

Quote:
Every direct student of the Founder that I've met (and I've met quite a few) seems to have gotten something from the Founder - some a little, and some a lot.

Virtually without exception, however, these students got what they got by the feel of working directly with the Founder, hand to hand. Because of this, those that got what they got seem to share an inability to comprehend exactly what it is that they got, how to explain it, and how to pass it on in turn to their students.

The results, a gradual and steady degradation of skill, ability and knowledge, are plain to see now that there are four or five of teachers descending from the Founder, for those who are honest enough to admit it.
Best,

Chris