Thread: Vantage points
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #40
Chris Li
 
Chris Li's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,054
United_States
Offline
Re: Vantage points

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
So when we are talking about Aikido- this includes everything, because the founder created it, and you don't seem to be interested in anything that didn't come from him. So if someone talks about Aikido, and you disagree with what they are saying, you say it's not valid, because it didnt' come from the founder, and he invented Aikido. This is a constant modus operandi of yours.
Well, Ueshiba's opinion is certainly important, IMO. If you're doing something else, that's fine, but why say that it's what he was doing? I never said anything is not valid, not once.

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
It depends on what you mean by "technical lineage". If you mean Aikido waza, then I agree with you. But every time someone wants to express an opinion that you disagree with, and they haven't met Dan, or who ever else from that "lineage", you say that their opinion is not valid.
It has nothing to do with lineage - but if there's an opinion that I disagree with then I'll certainly say that.

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
I'm saying that you only agree with your translations, or those who are like minded.
There actually aren't very many translations that I've directly disagreed with - I can only think of one that I've disagreed with in any major way. I will say that there are quite a few misinterpretations of various translations, IMO - and I've given my reasons. Give me your reasons why my interpretation is wrong and we can discuss it.

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
Who are the "others", which of them have definitions that you don't agree with, but find compelling? The majority of definitions of Aiki come from conventional Aikido groups. Are you saying that only your definitions, and those of your faction are valid?
Nope, never said that. The majority of "definitions" of Aiki from conventional groups haven't been stated or defended here, that's what I was saying.

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
I just want to talk about Aikido, right now. Historical information is useful, and I've spent lot's of my time recently working with it. However I would like to talk about the Aikido world today, but your faction likes to say that todays Aikido isn't valid, because they are not in accord with the founder. I don't believe that is true, but unless pressed, I'm not interested in talking about that. I made my comment here, to hopefully bypass this corner, that it seems we must turn down on every thread here on Aikiweb.
Well, there's nothing wrong with the Aikido world today, nobody's said that. People are doing what they're doing, and if they're happy with that then what's the problem?

Stan's been saying for years that what most people are doing is not the Aikido of the Founder. Anybody attacking him on Aiki Web?

If you're saying that x or y is "Aiki", however, then you get into another discussion of what "Aiki" is or might be - and here we are...

Best,

Chris

  Reply With Quote