View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #14
Tom Verhoeven
Dojo: Aikido Auvergne Kumano dojo
France
Re: Double standards

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Well, you cited his ideas as a reference to the samurai and integrity. If you aren't of the opinion that they apply to the samurai then why quote them?

As I said, there's nothing wrong with those ideas, except I don't think they're a good example of samurai ethics (if there really was such a thing). And yes, I think some of his ideas are "romantice" when we're talking about their application to the samurai.

The thing about experience is the same thing that hampers the Hagakure as a realistic source of information about the samurai, that's all, no need to get excited.

Best,

Chris
I did not cite his ideas as a reference to samurai.

I cited the quote from the Shido Yoron as it explains nicely the idea of integrity.

The quote mentions the words Shisetsu (samurai integrity) and Shiki (samurai ki), but that does not mean that I refer to samurai.

I defined having double standards as a lack of integrity (shisetsu). It refers to double standards, not to samurai.

I have never implied that Bushido of Nitobe, Shido Yoron of Saito Setsudo or the Hagakure of Yamamoto are realistic sources about samurai. It is totally beside the point.

Believe me, I will never get excited about your way of argumentation.

Tom