View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #84
MM
United_States
Re: Multiple attackers, using their idea of what is happening against them

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
To be fair, Mark, in that 1935 video he doesn't do anything like that, but in later post-war vids he does a variety of things like that to throw his ukes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoDK3XuvZWw
Ueshiba enters. At 1:04, the subtitles, "invite him to approach, a breeze stirs. Slice it through!" Not, "trick them into approaching, a breeze stirs. Get out of the way!"

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
If people want to call that misdirection and "catching" someone or their intent "aiki" why not just let them do it? Ueshiba didn't really seem to care too much as he did it himself and to some degree he seemed to approve of people practicing with that intention.
Ueshiba didn't care? Do you have the relevant research to show that? Ueshiba vehemently denied he was a man of religion and that he was a man of budo. Storms into the dojo and says you're not doing my aikido. But, yet, he doesn't care? And approve?

As I was discussing with someone the other day, if a professional math teacher was teaching your child that 2+2=5 and that 4*4=1, would you want them teaching your child? Or as someone else provided, if a swimming instructor couldn't actually swim, didn't know how to swim, and had never swam, do you want to place your child's life in the hands of that instructor to learn how to swim?

Take this picture for example:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:POL_apple.jpg

I'm going to redefine what that is. I'm now going to call it an "orange". You should let me because even though I'm wrong, well, you don't seem to care about that. From now on, when I reference an orange, you'll just have to wonder if I mean the object in the picture or an actual real orange. Seems fair to me. Every opinion is valid. Everyone gets to redefine whatever they want so that everyone gets an A. New York City, The Big Orange.

Sort of over the top, but do you get the picture I'm painting? Ueshiba had very defined views on aiki. If you're a professional aikido teacher, you would think that you'd at least try to understand, train, and do what the very founder of your art was doing.